Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I hope my last post wasn't seen as having already passed a judgement on the accused. It may have seemed that way, but that's what how I feel if they are found to be guilty. They're innocent unless found otherwise.

These allegations really hurt deep inside. Although I don't know any of the accused, it feels as though it has happened to my own friends. They seem like the same group of people I knew in high school. And while I can't feel exactly what must be going through the minds of their families and friends, I can pray that justice is served and steps are taken to ensure this doesn't happen again. If innocent, let them not share the same ordeals that people such as Maher Arar or the 19 Pakistanis faced.

The media coverage of the bail hearings today was sickening. It reminded me of the same hype and fear mongering that was spewed out by the American media after 9/11. Hundreds of local and international news outlets were at the courthouse, including many from south of the border and even al-Jazeera. It was really sad to view the images of women in burkhas being chased after in an attempt to get some information. I think it was the father of one of the accused who said "The media has already found them guilty". Equally frustrating was hearing the phrases "terror suspects" and "prayed at this mosque" used over and over again in the same sentence... as if to make a connection between young Muslim worshippers and terrorist activities.

Another point is that some of their rights are being infringed upon. Although it is understandable why they shouldn't be allowed to pray together, they shouldn't be denied that right individually. Neither should they be restricted to communicating with their lawyers via telephone, but rather should be allowed to meet privately. A lot of evidence is also being withheld from the defence lawyers.

These issues need to be addressed by Muslim leaders in the community as it will only lead to an unfair trial. Strangely, when Zafar Bangash began speaking about the injustices done to Maher Arar and the 19 Pakistanis in the video from the press conference, it was cut off.


I should draw your attention to my friend Asmaa's blog. She's always better with words than I am, and has pretty much written the other side of how I feel towards this whole thing.

1 comment:

'liya said...

Your last post didn't sound as though you had passed a judgement.

The media coverage is crazy. I live down the street from the courthouse.. the day of there were helicopters transporting the accused to the courthouse or patrolling or something but it was scary having them fly above our heads all day - and unnecessary. It could have been dealt with in a better manner.. less drama.. is 400 police officers neccessary..