Friday, January 26, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Friday

The furnace is broken... it has been since last night and the house is freezing. We're all sleeping in the family room around the fireplace. Hopefully the mechanical part that's been ordered arrives early tomorrow and it can be repaired.

There's pretty much just two months of school left, and it seems to be going fairly well, Alhumdullilah. It does make me a bit nervous and excited at the same time... in about two months or so, I'll have graduated and inshaAllah be working full-time. There are also talks and ideas floating around that I'll be tying the knot in the summer of 2008... which has got me thinking about how to plan the wedding (feel free to share ideas), costs, logistics and immigration. A bit early, I know, but whatever... I have plenty of time to think it all out.

I'm getting more and more upset everyday that my one of my dad's luggage is still lost somewhere around the world. We received one bag, but the other contains more valuable things like gifts from my in-laws-to-be. I'd like to see some sort electronic tracking device introduced to the airports. For a certain fee, you could attach it to your luggage and it would transmit a signal allowing you to locate it anywhere incase it got misplaced.

Can someone provide me with an answer to this issue that's been bugging me for the longest time? Every week when I go for Juma, there are always two ladies that stand outside the Mosque doors, asking for change (they've been doing this for several months now, and since then a guy has also started doing the same). What do I do? It saddens me to see them like this everytime and I want to help them in whatever way I can. At the same time, I also remember being told that begging is "unIslamic" and to give them money is only to encourage it. I mean, there are so many forms of social assistance they could take, aren't there? What would you do in this situation?

4 comments:

'liya said...

2 months - make the best of them, you'll miss it afterwards! And my goodness, you have plenty of time to plan for your wedding lol. My friend who just got married planned hers in a month (although hers was quite different from a "normal" wedding).

Can you talk to the imam about the begging? If he could address the situation in one of his lectures and then invite the people in to listen to some of the alternatives he suggests, that might help them (are they Muslim?) If this is happening outside then I'm sure he'd be happy to help out.

Hafsa said...

OMG....i just read this story(?)the other day....what a coincidence!

auntie

'liya said...

Did anything ever happen with this situation? Just wondering because it's awfully cold outside...

Umar said...

yes, they actually weren't there last friday which was odd because they've been there throughout past winters.