Tuesday, June 19, 2007

MuslimFest 2007



MuslimFest
is an annual celebration and showcase of Muslim art and entertainment. It'll be held on Saturday, August 11, 2007 at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga.

This year, I've been invited to teach a few workshops on photography. The details are still being worked out so I can't say much more except that I'll be teaching two workshops in the week leading up to the 11th and one on the day of.

Alhumdullilah, my online stuff (photoblog and flickr) has helped me gain recognition and work and I look forward to teaching those workshops. Of course, I'll need some help preparing, so please help me out by asking some of your own photography-related questions. I may not be able to answer all of them here, but it'll definitely help me prepare for potential questions later.


Oh, and if you've seen that screenshot of my computer I uploaded earlier, you'll know that my computer is really messed up right now. The new video card should be arriving at the York computer store tomorrow, so hopefully I can get this problem solved in the next day or two.



6 comments:

Hafsa said...

salams.

The first question would be the audience. I've no previous experience with photography - would the workshop be aimed towards people like me?

And I'd love to see some hands-on learning. The course @ Seneca requires all students to bring a camera along - a manual one.

'liya said...

Wow, that's great! I'm already interested in attending your workshop :D

I have the same question as Hafsa, is this going to be a hands-on workshop (would you tell everyone to bring their own cameras so they can practise) or is it more lecture style?

Also, is it going to be geared to digital camera use or manual? Or both?

And, will you be showing the workshop participants some of your own work so that they can get inspired?!

I went to MuslimFest last year but by the time I got there, it was near the end and the art exhibit was closed. So I just ate food... which was fine, but it'd be so beneficial to learn something.

Umar said...

thanks for your feedback guys.

hafsa - the workshop is geared towards "people like you" as well as those with some experience looking to improve their skills.

this will be a hands-on thing... as part of the requirements, everyone has to bring their own camera.

liya - great! hope to see you there?
i think i'll be structuring it for digital cameras since that's what most people use (and also because i haven't touched a film camera since my grade 12 photography class)

i'm trying to arrange for a projector/computer so that i can show some of my work... but more importantly, so that i can go over some post-processing techniques in Photoshop.

i've never been to MuslimFest in the previous years, but seeing their old photos tells me this is an awesome event and much needed in the community.

mezba said...

Umar, got here from Liya's blog. How do we register for the course, and what is the cost?

Umar said...

mezba - I'll have to find that out for you. The website's ticket page doesn't offer much info.

I'm just waiting to hear back from the co-ordinator at this point.

mezba said...

Alright, Umar, thanx, let me know. My email is on my blog (don't wanna type it here - get lots of spam as it is).