Wednesday, April 04, 2007

updates

Hello there, it's been a while.
What's been keeping me busy?

School is finally done! (almost) Yesterday was the last class but I still have two assignments to hand in. Also, it won't really feel like I'm done until after the gradshow and after convocation. Speaking of which, I had my grad photos taken yesterday. I found myself more interested in the equipment the guy was using than the actual photos themselves :P
The more I dwell upon it, the more I get nervous about life after school and finding a good job. Ideally, I'd like to land a position in a well-paying design firm so that I'll have something saved up for my (inshaAllah) wedding next year.
Two weeks ago, we had External Assessments for our design program. Basically, people from the industry are invited to look over your work and tell you what's good and what needs to be improved. Each student is interviewed by 2 people. It was a really tough and nerve-racking experience. Overall though, the feedback was good with a lot of notes on improving typography (for almost every student).


This past weekend (and the weekend before that) I was photographing the wedding I mentioned in my last post. I have one photo up at the moment on my Flickr. It was a really good experience and from the feedback I've received so far, the bride & groom were also happy. It's tough being the only photographer at a wedding... I've learned it's always helpful to have an assistant since I can't be everywhere at the same time.
I've also learned to be overly cautious with my equipment. During the shoot, on of my 2gb cards crashed and I couldn't read or write to it. Luckily, this was near the beginning of the event, so I didn't lose a whole lot. I also reshot some of them. The card is with Lexar now (who have really good customer service and lifetime warranty on the type of card I own). They'll try and recover the files and send me a replacement card.
The lighting equipment turned out to be an excellent investment. You just can't get the kind of results that make an excellent photo without it.


5 comments:

Pink said...

that was a really slick photo mashaAllah - u're gonna have a tough time finding a photographer for own wedding - it's awful when u have experience in something urself, u become extra-picky about others' services!

'liya said...

That's a gorgeous picture of the bride! Would we be able to see some of the other wedding photos you took?

'liya said...

Still wondering how the other wedding photos came out... would like to see..

:)

Umar said...

thanks for the comments guys.

pink - thanks :) luckily, through Flickr I've found some good photographers in Pakistan. Hopefully they'll be available when my wedding comes around.

liya - thank you :) I'd like to put up some other shots from the wedding but need to wait until the bride & groom let me know which ones I can use.

'liya said...

Okay, I'm eagerly awaiting them! :)